Free travel through Berlin and surroundings
The Semester Ticket (also called “Studi-Ticket” or “Semtix”) is a ticket that is valid for one semester in the fare zone Berlin ABC in local public transport of the VBB (i.e. underground and suburban railway, buses, trams, ferries and regional trains, excluding excursion and special lines) for students.
The introduction of the semester ticket is provided for by the Berlin Higher Education Act and is negotiated between the AStA and the Berlin-Brandenburg Transport Association VBB.
Students of the HWR Berlin acquire the semester ticket automatically by paying the semester fee when registering or re-registering, even if they do not wish to use the services offered. Most HWR students voted in favor of the semester ticket in a ballot. It is therefore a solidarity model.
The semester ticket fee is due upon enrolment and with each re-registration.
The semester ticket is only valid together with the identity card and is therefore not transferable: With the Semtix you can use the entire transport network within the VBB (ABC tariff area) and during the entire semester.
Since the semester ticket is a solidarity model and it can only work if most of the students pay into the system, an exemption from the contribution is only in one of the 8 following exemption reasons possible, which you will find here:
Reasons for exemption (according to the semester-ticket-regulations):
1. chronic illness / disability
2. semester abroad, if the student spends at least 3 consecutive months in one semester outside of Berlin for study-related reasons
3. compulsory internship, if the student spends at least 3 consecutive months in one semester outside of Berlin for study-related reasons
4. final thesis, if the student spends at least 3 consecutive months in one semester outside of Berlin for study-related reasons
5. enrolled in a part-time or part-time (except for dual studies) professional study
6. students with company tickets
7. gap semester (“Urlaubssemester”)
In the case of a stay outside of Berlin, all of the following three criteria must be fulfilled for a semester ticket exemption, otherwise an application is futile and will be rejected directly:
1. stay of at least 3 consecutive months in one semester
2. study-related stay
3. stay outside of Berlin (ticket zone ABC)